by Joey Crandall, email@example.com
Confirming a story we’ve been chasing for a few days, the Carson Valley Times has learned that the East Fork Hotel at the corner of Main Street and Gilman Avenue is slated for demolition sometime this spring. Several other sources have confirmed the planned demolition, although a time table has not been set.
Plans for development of the lot have not yet been set.
The Facebook group “Picon Drinkers of the American West” announced plans for a celebration on Nov. 30 at 3 p.m.
Here’s what they say about it: “Many of us here in the Carson Valley and western Nevada have fond memories of the East Fork Hotel and the bar within. After standing for 120 years, the East Fork is slated for demolition sometime this spring. The past 25 years have not been easy on this old frame building. Picon Drinkers of the American West. is not going to let it go without some sort of recognition…. In true picon fashion, we will give the East Fork one final ‘salud’ on Saturday, November 30th (Thanksgiving Weekend) at 3:00 pm. Everybody is invited to join us in front of the old girl one last time and raise a glass in recognition if its’ long history. Members of the family will be there to join us and we want to invite anyone who has a memory of the East Fork and even those who never set foot in the place. This is going to be an ‘event’. Please share this on your timeline so we can get the word out. More to come later on this historic occasion.”
On the Record-Courier’s Running Commentary this morning, Douglas County manager Steve Mokrohisky said, “The owners of the building contacted our Community Development Department recently inquiring about the requirements for a demolition permit. The owners have not submitted an application to demolish the building, but we understand that they are currently salvaging reusable materials from the building. Once they have an approved demolition permit from the County, the structure can be removed. We are not aware of the future plans for the site at this time.”
The East Fork was listed in the historical marker database, although the historical marker has been removed from the property in preparation for the demolition.
Here is the Historical Marker Database Entry from http://www.hmdb.org:
“Inscription. The East Fork Hotel was constructed in 1893 by George and Charley Brown, two brothers who came to Genoa, Nevada with a traveling circus. The Brown Brothers also owned the East Fork Brickyard, providing bricks that were used in many Valley buildings.
The hotel is one of the earliest commercial buildings in Gardnerville. The East Fork advertised, “Excellent accomodations and an excellent livery stable connected” at the turn of the century.
One of three eventual Basque hotels in town, the East Fork provided boarding rooms and meals for Basque shepherds. The two story, 3500 square foot building also was the home for the Borda family who operated the East Fork Hotel in the 1900’s.
Damaged by fire that also destroyed the adjoining bar, the East Fork Hotel awaits restoration.
In the upper left corner of the marker is seal of the city of Gardnerville, while in the lower right hand corner is the seal of the US Forest Service.
Erected 2004 by Town of Gardnerville.
Location. 38° 56.485′ N, 119° 44.956′ W. Marker is in Gardnerville, Nevada, in Douglas County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 395 and Gilman Avenue on U.S. 395. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1441 Highway 395, Gardnerville NV 89410, United States of America.”